Early Childhood Coalition
With the Early Childhood Coalition, Youth & Family Services of Haddam-Killingworth (YFSHK) is committed to supporting the growth and development of children in their early years to ensure they are well prepared for kindergarten.
The Importance Of Early Childhood Education
We believe that parents are their children’s first and most important teachers. Even if they don’t yet have the ability to communicate in full sentences – or even at all – the first years of a child’s life are their most formative – research shows the brain grows the most during the first three years of life. During this time, engaging in early childhood education will not only boost your children’s communication potential early on, but also gives them better learning skills in the future.
As children move past their first years and approach the age when they may begin to attend pre-school and kindergarten, it’s just as vital to stay present and a major part of the education process. Being prepared to begin formal education not only increases your child’s likelihood to graduate, but also their potential lifetime earnings.
Early Childhood Coalition
Based on the importance of early childhood education, YFSHK developed the Early Childhood Coalition (ECC). Members of this group include parents, early care providers, educators, and social service and health care providers from the local community. Each month, the council meets to develop and plan programs to help promote the healthy physical, cognitive and social-emotional growth of young children with the focus of preparing them for formal education in mind.
Activities and initiatives of the ECC include:
- Assisting parents in at-home early learning, through developing and providing activities and experiences that can help parents and their young children enjoy and engage in the valuable learning process.
- Providing free parent workshops to inform parents and lend support regarding academic and behavioral concerns.
- Collaborating with three elementary schools in the local community to facilitate pre-K visits and pre-K screening days.
- Creating collaboration between the Lion’s Club and the ECC to provide vision screening for incoming kindergarten children and their younger siblings.
- Arranging meetings with pre-school children from H-K and fourth grade buddies at Burr Elementary School for fun-filled play groups.
To participate in the Early Childhood Coalition, please contact us today. If you would like more information about our community coalitions or would like to get involved, get in touch with us. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.