Coming together as educators, government officials, law enforcement officers, parents, students, neighbors and friends to promote health, well-being, knowledge sharing and generosity is at the core of the development of our local community.
This benefits not only the participants, but also can have a great impact on our schools, infrastructure, local shops and businesses, and much more. Through the organization of community-based events to support members of our local area, we can help to empower each other to maximize resources and promote healthy, dynamic lifestyles.
Benefits Of Community Events
Establishing a set calendar of events within the local community brings with it both short and long-term benefits. Organizing a fundraising event, for example, leads to support raised for a specific cause that will benefit members of the community who are currently suffering. On the other hand, a local festival to celebrate the town’s founding can bring with it less-obvious long-term benefits such as camaraderie and community-engagement.
A significant benefit of most community-organized events is connection. This may be between people within the community who can help each other, people and valuable resources or citizens and businesses. Raising awareness within the community of specific causes can help with outreach – getting the resources to the people that need them the most. This can also assist in balancing social justice so that political, social, economic and cultural priorities are more equal among community members.
Community events also create the opportunity for new leaders to emerge. These may be specific to events – for example project leaders who are experts in a particular field such as public health, or general leaders who could hold a political office.
At Youth & Family Services of Haddam-Killingworth (YFSHK), we’re proud to offer a selection of community-based events to promote growth, connection and development of the local area. These include:
- Pumpkin Run: A scenic 5k Race For The Kids to benefit the YFSHK. Post race refreshments and a free t-shirt for runners is provided.
- Senior Expo: Open to all seniors, family, friends and caregivers of Middlesex County. This includes vendors, drawings, flu shots, informational materials, prizes and live music. Breakfast and lunch served.
- Family Olympics: An activity-filled day with field games and challenges for the whole family at the Parmelee Farm in Killingworth, CT.
- Family Movie Night: Join us under the stars for outdoor family movie night. Free admission and snacks for the whole family.
- Family Dinner Night: Free dinner for all H-K families provided by Dino’s. Hosted by the Healthy Communities-Healthy Kids Coalition. Door prizes, too!
To participate in any of these events please contact us today. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.